As a travel planner, I often get asked how you go about getting a passport or how to renew an expired/expiring passport.
I thought it would be helpful to write a post with all of the information in one place for easy access.😀
Let’s start with those of you who don’t have one. First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am excited that you decide to go for it and see the world!
Make sure you are allowing yourself enough time to apply by mail. It takes about 6 weeks for regular service and 2-3 weeks for expedited service. If you do not have enough time to apply either of these ways, you will need to head to your nearest passport agency and apply in person, those are usually by appointment. There will also be a $60 fee to expedite. The normal cost of an adult(16 years or older) passport is $110 plus a $25 execution fee. Children’s passports cost $80 plus a $25 executions fee. The information below is for obtaining an adult passport.
- Complete a passport application. You can either pick one up at your local post office, you will need an appointment(call or stop in to schedule that ahead of time) or print one off. They can be found online.
- Collect all of your documents. As an adult, you will need proof of citizenship as well as Identification. Minors will need much more so please schedule an appointment at a participating facility to meet with a specialist and get a full list of the documents needed.
- Get passport Photos taken. You will need a 2 inch by 2 inch photo. Your photo must be recent(within 6 months), must have a white or off white background, you must be facing the camera directly with hair out of your face, a neutral facial expression, in color, and no hats, headpieces or glasses.
- Calculate your fees.
- Since this is your first passport, you will need need to apply in person. Locate your nearest participating facility and make an appointment to meet with someone in passport services. Click the word “locate” above to be taken to a facility search page.
If you need to renew a passport follow these easy mail in steps*:
- Complete the appropriate form —> DS-82
- Get photos taken
- Calculate fees
- Mail in completed form along with your current passport and the photos
*Note, if your most recent passport is over 15 years old, was issued when you were younger than 16 or is damaged, you will need to apply in person at the nearest participating facility.
I hope this helps!! Good luck and Safe travels!!! ✈️
This is the first set of passport photos I had taken for Jolee.
I ended up losing these and had to have another set taken.